I put together a curriculum bag for the next three weeks. I work at a private school and we're all pretty local to each other. Popped the bags on the porch and let the parents know they could come get them for a contactless but visible (for the kiddos) pick up. Lookie me, I'm a teacher with curbside pick-up! One parent brought me coffee, another brought me a scone, while another brought me a self-portrait and flowers from her kiddo. Man, I love these families! I miss my classroom kiddos so freaking much there are tears (mine). I've said it before, and I'll say it again, what preschoolers need cannot be taught digitally and I am so sad for this. In the end, I know they will be fine, children are so flexible really, look at me, I turned out fairly ok. I spend a lot of time on the phone with my parents, calling, emailing, and texting to help through various questions and concerns. I've done video chats with my kiddos, and sent along quick videos of me singing songs on requests. I've spent hours reassuring parents that they are supported and they will be fine and their children are good, and maybe set up a routine at home that mirrors school, and who cares if you make the zoom call, go outside instead, blow bubbles, have dance parties, sleep in, read more books, and here's a link of me reading books. We can do this.
Have I told you how much I miss them?
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.