Friday, February 16, 2007

Photobooth Friday: vintage

This delightful young lady is my mom. I'm thinking this was taken when she was 16 or so but I could be mistaken. There is simply so much I could write about her but I don't know where to start. She was an amazing women who was dealt a very sad hand. I wouldn't wish the traumas that she went through on anyone but then again I am wouldn't be the person I am today if not for them. She was beautiful and full of hope, promise, crrativity and love and then life happened. She never got to realize her potential. She never beleived in herself. She based all of her self worth on my father and the fact that he walked out. Boy, did he walk out. I have probably mentioned this before but my mother did an amazing job at being my mom. She raised people's spirits when they were down. She was a listener and a good one and while she had every right to complain or vent herself, she never did. I tried to get her to, I tried. She spent 25 years of her life, my life, pining. Pining for a man who deserved nothing of the sort. Then, one day while I held a pity party for myself at the foot of her bed she came out of it. The look of wonder and amazement on her face for all those years wasted made my heart weep. Made my heart laugh. She came out of it. We laughed, we shopped, we made grand plans for the new mamos. We were partners in crime. We had a blast. She was 58 years old and she woke up. Less than six months later my mamos was gone. I miss her everyday. I miss her now. Take a cue from her and like the tacky plaque her cousin gave her when my brother died...when life gives you lemons, make lemonade...make lemonade with a little bit of spice.

More booth-o-rama (and hopefully happier):

hula seventy
the anatomist

1 comment: