Monday, November 01, 2010

sweet, sweet november: hullo fall!

Fall has been with us here in the western hemisphere for awhile now but for those of us in the west and southwest the physical evidence of fall is a little laid back. The temps can get a little manic hitting crazy highs during the days and freaky lows at night, so kooky that we're not sure if it's ever going to get here yet it always does. The very first thing I notice about fall here in California is not so much the color change in the foliage (which, contrary to popular belief, California DOES have a fall) but the light. There is something so magical about the fall light. The shadows are longer in the mornings while the sunset seems more golden.

Fall for me begins with the magical light, it makes me smile and I find myself spending more time simply watching the sun rise and/or set. Once the light changes, I can be sure the temperature will too (though this year seems to be a bit confused) which signals the all important fall wardrobe inspiration. Long sleeves and sweaters come out, tights are gazed upon and a new hat appears anxiously waiting to be worn.

Once the weather cools I hit the recipe books and internet in search of new baking and soup recipes. I even revisit some old favorites. To put myself in even more of a festive mood, I change my color palette and start crafting with golden tones and whimsical greens. I also make up a new fall playlist and drink oodles of tea and other hot beverages. And that is how I welcome fall.

This week, Tara Anderson of the pink couch and I will be bringing you some fall inspiration every day. From recipes to tutorials, you can be sure to discover something pretty. So pull up a chair, grab a hot cuppa, wrap yourself up in something warm & cozy and fall into something pretty.

I'll be back later today with a little chat of fall goodness. Tell me this, what inspires you in the fall? Do you have any traditions or rituals? Leave a comment, share a link, I would love to hear from you!

11 comments:

  1. What inspires me about fall?!? The colors, the crispness, the new earthy smells, warm baked goods, root vegetables and gourds, the stunning afternoon light... I'm ready :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh yes, the root vegetables! let's get to roasting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like breaking out the soft warm sweaters, walking in crispy crunchy leaves, drinking hot cider, and baking pies, bread and other goodies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. mmm...cider & pie! i love those too! wish i coudl throw a pie party! or as a gal i once knew called it a PIESTA!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I work at Starbucks, so fall starts for me when we release and promote yummy drinks like Pumpkin Spice Lattes, Caramel Apple Spice, Salted Caramel Hot Chocolate and eggnog. Fall is flavor to me, I crave cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, pumpkin, chai.. nice warm bold fall flavors. Also, I love to bake pumpkin bread and cakes and homemade chili. Living in North Texas, I can wear hoodies and my summer favorites, flip-flops. Fall and Spring are my two favorite seasons as they hold so much magic and wonder.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bcav? THE Bcav? omg! how are you! seriously, I was recently thinking about you and wondering how you were doing. Keep me posted and don;t be a stranger!

    and i'm totally drinking a pumpkin spiced latter as i type this. i'm SUCH the multitasker!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't have any traditions really. But I did paint pumpkins with my friends a few weeks ago! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. what is your fall playlist?

    ReplyDelete
  9. pumpkin painting is definitely fun and as for my playlist, i really wanted to post one for you but all my music is in storage...this is the time of year that i pull out the paul simon, cat stevens, nick cave and belle & sebastian...maybe i'll be able to pull something together for you all.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Greeblygreebly9:10 PM

    Digging out the huge basket of hats/gloves/scarves and putting away all the warm weather clothes really makes me feel like fall is here. That and hot apple cider.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The smell of fall, the winds kicking up, a chill in the air, great sleeping weather.....my favorite season of all!

    ReplyDelete