Sunday, February 16, 2014

sugar rush {a little post valentine's day goodness}

I've had this idea for magic bars for years. Years, I tell ya! Even before I made the pie. I don't know why it took me so long and while the photos look a bit tired, I have to tell you, these were ooey-gooey good! If you do decide to whip up a batch of valentine magic bars make sure you have a crowd over to enjoy them!
One of the things I did differently than the classic recipe was cutting out much of the butter to make the bottom crust. I used strawberry wafers, the kind that used to come with a scoop of ice cream when you ate out in the 1970s. Not necessarily good for you but these are magic bars which are simply tasty. I used about 3/4 of a pack I found at the dollar store. so gourmet!
I also added a second layer using Nabisco's Famous Chocolate Wafers. It's the chocolate and strawberry combo I was after in the first place. Pop about half a package of the wafers into a plastic bag, seal, then crush with a rolling pin. Your kiddos will love this part!
Next up I scattered marshmallows, m&ms and chocolate chips. On top of that I poured 140z of sweetened condensed milk. I know. Sweet! If you do try this, do not do what I did, add the sweetened condense milk on top of the cookie crumbs, then add the chocolate chips. Bake at 350 for about 25 minutes then add your marshmallows and m&ms. This way, the marshmallows will get gooey without browning...same as the m&ms.
Enjoy with a cold glass of your favorite milk drink. These are much better cool or the next day and of course shared with friends in small bites.

1 comment: