Sunday, May 27, 2012

sweet tooth: pumpkin chocolate chip magic bar pie

 We woke up Saturday to an overcast sky and cooler than usual temps. After a run to the farmer's market and a visit to the Goodwill Outlet, the mister headed to his workshop (aka Mom's garage) while I settled in for some busy-work.

I tried to get things done, I did, however, the grey sky and chilly breeze that snuck in the window kept distracting me. It was time for some baking. I really wanted to get that oven on but was hijacked by laziness. It was only when I opened the freezer for some frozen fruit (it was smoothie time) that I realized I had something sweet already half-way baked! Remember this bomb pie? I had another pie shell in the freezer filled with crumbled cookies and kisses. Whoo-hoo! I pulled out the partial pie and stood in the kitchen as I pondered what to do. I didn't really want to make the bomb pie again, it wasn't bad but I wanted a different texture. 

What to do? What to do?

I had it! That morning at the farmer's market we stopped at Stewart and Clark's booth for their famous biscuits and they were selling magic bars. I figured I had most of the ingredients in the pie shell already and there was a can of sweetened condensed milk in the pantry so why not? To freshen up my memory, I hit the laptop for an internet search to make sure this would work and even found a pie recipe by cakespy! It was a go!

I tweaked things a bit here and there but the end result was fantastic! Super sweet, sure but not as sweet as the bars themselves as I used a traditional pie-crust instead of a graham crust. If you can, let it sit a day before digging in, the flavors settle and the pie solids up making it pure deliciousness. I recommend a tiny slice with an unsweetened cup of coffee, iced or hot, your choice! Enjoy! 

Magic Bar Pie
*one unbaked pie crust (I used a frozen shell)
*8 pumpkin chocolate chip cookies (I used market-made)
*about 10 caramel kisses or other caramel candies
*half a cup of semi-sweet chocolate chips
*half a cup rolled oats (not instant)
*1 can sweetened condensed milk
*dash o' cinnamon

Preheat oven to 350F and pull out a cookie sheet to place pie pan on.
 Break up cookies and add to pie shell. Fill in spaces with kisses. Sprinkle oats over the top then add the chips. You could probably use more, I was experimenting so erred on the less-than side. I also chose oats instead of the traditional coconut as the mister is not a fan and I did not have any. Sprinkle a bit of cinnamon over the top just for kicks.
Pour a can of sweetened condensed milk over the whole shebang. It will fill up yer crust and look a bit wonky but that's okay, the pay-off is just dandy.
 Pop the happy bit of sweetness atop your cookie sheet and get that puppy into the oven! Bake for 25-30 minutes. 
 Let cool and sit overnight if you can handle it. We each ate a slice a few hours after it came out of the oven and it was good, but the next day it was even better! Otherwise, cut yourself a tiny slice and brew up some coffee. The sweetness is crazy but the unsweet of the coffee adds to its tastiness. I hope you like it! 


  1. that looks fabulous. and i think it's a sign that i just found cans of sweetened condensed milk in my local grocery store (usually very hard to come by here). must give it a whirl!

  2. I cannot eat dairy at the present time but this is too good not to pin! I am sure my family will quite enjoy it even if I can't.

    1. Hi Linda! I wonder if this could be done with coconut milk? Hmmm...I may try it! Keep you posted.