Monday, August 29, 2016

I finally baked the hummingbird cake!

Have you ever tried a hummingbird cake? I have only had one once before...many, many years ago. I was 13 or 14, visiting my sister and she had baked one. I thought it was way, way, way, too sweet. Even so...it stuck with me all these...decades? I finally made one...a little less sweet.

Traditionally, a hummingbird cake has coconut in it and is iced with cream cheese frosting (the recipe I used did not use coconut IN the cake). I omitted the coconut (mister is not a fan) and iced it with whipped cream that had a touch of buttermilk in it. Swoon! I used this recipe which was perfectly not-sweet...more like a banana bread. I used fresh pineapple, but canned will do in a pinch. I used 5 mini cake pans (a gift from the ever uber lovely zameander) and we ate it all up in two days...delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment