Sunday, January 04, 2015

i may have gone a little overboard with the arm knitting

if you have followed my blog for any amount of time you may remember that i am a bit inept in the yarn arts unless it involves wrapping it around something...i've taken crochet classes, knitting classes and had one-on-one sessions with utter and absolute failure.
i am a crafter that cannot knit. hipster i will never be.  until now.
 
a friend serendipitously spied a free arm knitting class at one of our local libraries and signed us up (we dragged mr. a-go-go along). we arrived to an after-hours library with a table full of pre-wrapped yarn balls, a dozen or so gals over 60 and us. mr. a-go-go was the only fella in sight.
 
it took me longer than the rest of the group to figure out what was going on but the mister was really good at helping me out in a way i could learn. i think all my talk of multiple intelligences got through to him. anyhow, the first scarf i made was a bit of a disaster but i caught the bug and have since gone a little bit yarn crazy (even converting a person or two).
 
i made a couple scarves as gifts but am a little full up of extras for myself so in the spirit of the new year i would like to offer up one happily woven-up arm knitted scarf to the first reader who actually read through all this blog blather to know i'm giving away something and that they would actually want it (it will be a surprise color and not one pictured here). leave a comment and email me your address and i'll send one your way. for reals! happy new year!

**for those who ask, my lipstick is Burt's Bees Lip Crayon in Redwood Forest.

8 comments:

  1. Haha! Arm knitting sounds like a blast! Happy New Year and may I just say you have about the cutest smile ever..! I have given up knitting and crocheting to save my arms for painting- much more fun in my book..! Snowy greetings from Vermont, couch sitting with my comforter and heat pad, Carroll and her kitties.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy New Year to you as well! email me yer addie and i'll send a happy scarf yer way! i'm on google...jekinthebox.

      Delete
  2. I love your scarves but will quite understand if you don't want to send to England!! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi julie! thank you! i would not mind sending a scarf yer way at all. email me yer address! jekinthebox. at gmail. my address is in my profile.

      Delete
  3. I honestly just wanted to poke in and tell you that your scarves are really pretty! People definitely learn in different ways and I'm fairly defensive and can get angry while learning, because I'm very insecure about my smarts, if that makes any sense.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Diana! I get SO defensive. To the point where I do not like doing anything in front of people who already know how to do it. Taking the class made me quite uncomfortable. Thank you for poking yer head in. pop me an email with your address and i'll send a scarf yer way! my address is in my profile on gmail. jekinthebox.

      Delete
  4. Argh - every time I stop by to comment, my comment gets eaten by the Internet Goblins... but I just wrote one out to thank you for mentioning the Burt's Bees so here I go again... I'd been contemplating trying it for weeks since it didn't look quite as heavy-duty as garden-variety lipstick (I hate the taste and feel of lipstick) but figured it was just another health-food-store "tint" that didn't actually tint. But I went for it and - I love it! Napa Vineyard for me, and it's perfect - just enough color, not all thick and goopy, and no flavor whatsoever. So thanks!

    And - I love the scarves :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Love the Burt's Bee's color. Matte and sweet without overpowering or wearing off in the middle only leaving some bit of wonked out lip liner. It wears off but kinda eveny all over-like. I wish I knew why the darn goblins like yer comments so much! the Burt's Bee's tints actually tint as well. I once had a kiddo tell me my mouth was red after a quick swipe of the tint...made me laugh. The tints are the ones that look just like their lip balm but are packaged in the cardboard tube and have a black tube.

      Delete