Wednesday, January 15, 2014

the great capsule wardrobe adveture: days 5 and 6

nice bags...
So, the real days 5 and 6 were spent in pajamas in bed sleeping and drooling away the ick. The official day 5 took place on January 13 and as you can see up there, even with all the napping I have not been getting any real rest...cough, cough. I recently did however get my hair cut and colored and that makes me a smidge happy even though I was/am sick. Sick or not I had kiddos to teach and it was off to work I go (have I told you how much I love my job?).
my hair was acting up; items 8 and 11
This Worthington t-short from Penneys is really pretty cool. It is some sort of t-shirty material with a sheer fabric over the front that also makes u the puffy sleeves. Comfy and quirky. I tell ya, Penneys is a bit secret weapony for me. Everything I have worn from there (save for my skivvies) receives compliments. I do get my skivvies there but am not in the habit of showing just anyone how cool they are. Ahem. On my feet are my Keens sans socks (which always makes me think of Are You There God, It's Me Margaret? which makes for unpretty bare feet but is a sacrifice I must make in the name of style.
I know I said I hated belts but belts and sashes are not the same thing. I seem to really like this scarf. It's pretty nifty and has a cool print but I am blanking on it and feeling far too lazy to get up and look at it so I can tell you what the print is. Besides, I think I left it in the car...
I don't mean to brag but I think I nailed it; items 10 and 5
Okay, this makes me especially happy. It photographed as good as I thought it looked in my head. Also? My hair was super cooperative and that is so rare so a photo documenting it where I am not triple chinning it and my eyes are open makes for extra happy giggles. Yes. I giggled. The top was a Penneys purchase back when I was attempting another round of 31 Days of red, white, and blue. It was a super bright red and I was feeling so over the bright red I dumped it into a bucket of black RIT dye and it turned bergundy or wine or maroon or whatever you want to call this and I love, love, love it! Sure the sleeve length is probably a fashion don't for my not-so-fit arms but you know what? I don't care. When you love what you are wearing and you feel good in it, you ted to beam and spill over with joy and that my friends make you absolutely stunning. So yeah, I'm gonna say I felt stunning and I laughed a lot and I smiled my goofy, wonky smile and I did not worry or care how I looked. One big annoying thing though? Talbot's clothing fits large. The skirt is a large but I had to roll up the waistband three times to keep it from slip-slip-slipping over my gifted hips. It dyed super nicely and I think this shortened length is fantastic. I need to alter it so that I can wear it a little less clumsily. Even with all the tugging I was still pleased...though I did at one moment imagine I must have looked like a female equivalent to a nutty professor and that thought made me guffaw out loud. I hope no one saw that. I was at work when that happened.
These shoes? Oh these shoes were such a hassle but I think they worked out. They are Softwalk and the first pair I bought were the perfect length but the width at the heel was much more narrow than my actual heel. Combined with the smooshy soft sole and my um...sturdiness my body sank down, down, down into the heel so much so that the hard wood frame of the shoe bit into my foot and was quite painful. There was no way I was gong to be able to walk in them so I sadly returned them. Then the sister-a-go-go bought a pair and made me want them all over again so I bought them in a larger size (and on super sale) and am happy to report that the width works even if the right shoe is a bit too long for my foot. They have an adjustable heel strap that works for my larger left foot but the right foot needed one of those heel cushion thingies. They are comfortable enough to wear all day at work but I do not think I should pick them in case of a zombie apocalypse. They are also quite noisy...clunk, clunk, clunk, clunk. Oh fashion.


8 comments:

  1. Your Penney's finds always amaze me. Who knew!? And the hair looks great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always find something that works for me AND gets compliments. I think the Linen trousers are originally a Penneys brand.

      Delete
  2. Loving. You are inspiring me to "dress like a French girl", too! I can see how accessories can really change up a capsule wardrobe. And shoes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do it! Scarves and shoes....if I could find my small box of necklaces that would totally add it to. Today I wore the skirt again but with a different top and boots! ankle boots.

      Delete
  3. Well, if you think Talbots runs big, I guess that's the reason they fit me so well! Also, you surprise me with your Clarks shoes if you have wide feet. I've never been able to wear them due to that fact. Guess I have super wide feet. Yours really don't look all that wide in your photos. Maybe I should take some feet-in-shoe photos and show you what wide really looks like!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm in between a 12 and 14. 12s are usually too tight and 14s tend to be loose. I found an awesome pair of paisley print corduroy Talbot's trousers that were a 14 and I had to re-donate them as they kept falling down terribly. This is the only pair of Clarks I can wear. I've tried many. They are a smidge snug but not uncomfortable. I also have a high arch so finding shoes is really funky for me. So far Keens have been the best fit and a pair of Naturalizer boots in wide. It's the bridge that is crazy wide. ;)

      Delete
  4. I love both outfits, and adore both tops! Your shoes are so amazing, but I understand shoes woes. Sometimes shoes are harder for me to buy than jeans, especially when they are costly. They scarf as a belt is so cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh boy! Don't even get me started on jeans! Still searching for shoes that work. Sending you good shoe vibes!

      Delete