Saturday, January 11, 2014

the first cold of the year and already i have cabin fever...

there are 47 birds in this photo...
 Unlike most people who catch colds, I am knocked of my feet and walloped in a BIG way. While most people tend to pretend they are not sick, I need to take to my bed for as much sleep as I can cram, stuff myself silly with vitamin C, and drink hot stuff till I'm tired of peeing all the time. And if yer one of those who carries on at work like you're not actually sick? It's. All. Your. Fault! It is! Stay home, take a sick day, watch hours and hours of Doctor Who, drink the sweetest hottest tea you can stand...just stay home! I caught mine from the mister who carried it home from his work as it has been a very busy work week at his place and everyone has been coming in sick. Blech. Thank goodness I got my flu shot and managed (knock wood) to so far evade the holiday ick that hit everyone at my school.

So here  I am, buried under blankets listening to the birdies (and the neighbor's dog) enjoying the breeze that sneaks in through the window. I have laptop in lap and am positively bored. I don't feel like looking at pinterest, I canceled Netlfix in December, and am on a Facebook hiatus that should be a drop but darn if Candy Crush doesn't keep me there (not that anyone noticed save for you). I'm having an existential crisis in regards to the living me and the online me. If I fade away from Facebook will anybody notice and if nobody notices do I cease to exist at all? I've been feeling this way ever since we returned from our BIG road trip. Most will probably roll their eyes but I am a person who needs friendships validated via letters, email, and phonecalls. Liking a post on Facebook doesn't cut it. I am bummed by the large number of emails, fb messages and voicemails I have left for old friends that have gone unanswered. I've been tending a garden full of drought tolerant plants methinks. Sometimes I think I should drop it all..this blog, flickr, facebook, etc. but then the sad raccoon creeps out and vanity hits and I tether myself again to this thing called social media but fnd myself more often than not depressed by it all. I used to be gung-ho for it. I used to think the internet could cultivate real solid relationships. And it did, it did not long ago but now we are all so used to instant gratification that unless you are a constant you are out of the game. I am aware that we all have our own lives to live and families to raise and be with but if you have time to instagram something you have time to tell an old friend you re thinking of them, do you not?

Eegads...I just had an unsettling thought all wrapped up in ego. Everyday I have moments where I am reminded of people who have wandered through my life. When those moments happen and they are people I can contact, I do (everyday in fact with no reply) if they are not in my life, I try to find them even though I have tried before. I think how lucky I am to have these memories and to have these people in my life and to be honest I want people to think the same of me. Selfish isn't it? Vain? Now I feel like an ass.

Let's chalk it up to cold meds had I been taking any...I just want to say I appreciate you and you and you and here's to 2014, making new friends and saying goodbye to the old.

(This post was not planned in the least. I was going to write about my adventure in attempting a capsule wardrobe but that will have to come later....especially since I have missed two days now to being sick...but I do have three for ya...)

10 comments:

  1. I killed my Facebook a year ago and have yet to miss it. I, too, would rather have phonecalls or emails or heck yeah, face to face meetings when that's possible :) I do really like Instagram though, it reminds me a bit of Flickr in the early days... but I'm sure that will change.

    And I feel ya on the cold. I get the same variety, but fortunately for me they are few and far between. Still, boo on those people who don't stay home when they're sick!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Still ick with the cold that won't go away. Also grateful for you and our rambling pinterest conversations.

      Delete
  2. I may not know you as a friend, but I for one would miss you if you dropped out. Just saying I appreciate you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Leslie. It is really nice to know that I have friends of sorts out there. ;)

      Delete
  3. I enjoy your blog and your thoughts and your way - I find you to be super cool! I too would miss you if you dropped away. Feel better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you old friend! I'm not sure I am super cool, maybe I just play one in blogland? Still on the mend. Gah!

      Delete
  4. I don't know you personally either, but I enjoy your blog. It's a nice alternative to the ubiquitous, self-absorbed "look-what-an-awesome-creative-mommy-I-am" blogs (and I say that as a mother myself). I like your style and ideas, too. Keep your chin up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kate! I used to really want to be a blogger to be reckoned with but just like Jr. High, I'm simply not that girl....so I do what I have always done...kept it real. Good and not-so-good.

      Delete
  5. Anonymous6:07 PM

    I'm chiming in with Kate, Silencer and Leslie above. I love your blog and would miss it a lot! You've provided inspiration: (I've used some of your crafting tutorials and ideas that you have offered up...); I've liked the writing, photography, humor, and honesty (and "real-ness") in all your posts! And hurray for things, especially sweet old things! When you're feeling down when you're writing, you can think of us...we're here...we're just very quiet most of the time. But we're here.

    ~Cynthia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Cynthia, you all are giving me the warm fuzzies. I'm a quiet person too though most would think I'm not because I get chatty when I am nervous. I love that you have tried some of my diys, I hope they were successful. I really do!

      p.s. Yay for things!

      Delete