Saturday, November 09, 2013

sweet november: inspiration

I know most people consider snails a pest but have you ever really watched a snail before? Or even looked at one or two at the same time. I've always had a thing for snails. Back in school, for a child development class I wrote a series of snail books. I doodle them on paper, stop to watch them when I spy them, and adore the recent art and kitsch that they have inspired. This photo was taken last winter at the beach. The snails were trekking across the sand and I noticed how absolutely gorgeous their shells were slick with rain. Each one the same but not. Some had purple in them, others grey, and even a little blue or green speckled about. So simple and so pretty to me. If you look closely you can almost make out my shadow reflected in the shell. Also, the grains of sand? Another bit of gorgeous in its simplicity. Each grain a different color. I pulled these colors out of the photo, from the snail, from the sand...such a pretty collection, different from my usual go-tos of orange and pink. Who would have thunk it?

No comments:

Post a Comment