Sunday, October 20, 2013

scrumdilly diy: day of the dead painted paper garland

Oh how I had grand plans for Day of the Dead this year but then this month happened and well...I'll take what I can get. This diy is more an inspiration post than a true step-by-step diy. I used a good old fashioned Sharpie to draw my bones and sugar skull and then used neon colored acrylic paints to add color to the whole party.
I used a large sheet of heavy weight paper and freehanded the bones and sugar skull. I think the paper was about 11 1/2"  X 17". The quality was really nice and played well with the sharpie even though my first sugar skull looked positively cranky. The second one did as well...the third one worked like a charm and so I stuck with it.
My original plan was to make crepe paper flowers but I got lazy and my back got angry. I really like how the flowers turned out. I used four-colors and alternated which color decorated which part of the flower to make it a bit more mix-happy. I could have planned it better but again I blame it on my back.
I used silver thread in my sewing machine and stitched one side of bones and flowers first, then the other. I almost made this is a mobile instead but went ahead and got all stitch-happy so that I could make the darn bed already!

I have another garland diy coming up. It might be sans the steps as I took those photos many months ago and may not be able to find them but it is another stitched paper garland this time using bias tape...stay tuned and Happy October!

No comments:

Post a Comment