Saturday, October 12, 2013

pom (egranate) happy

I have so much I want to write but so little brain power floating about to do so. It's probably best as some of it is a bit of a buzz-kill (most of it actually) with a bit of an Emergency Room adventure thrown in for fun. At this very moment I am duking it out with a sinus infection from Hades that decided to throw an old fashioned rave in my left ear. We're talking some serious OUCH factor...the tear inducing kind...the kind that meds failed at helping, and the kind that had me circling the kitchen island in tears at three-thirty this morning with an occasional pause to press my ear against the cold marble-y counter.


After I finally managed to fall asleep and then gradually wake up to put something in the belly to mingle with the meds, I spied the pomegranate I picked up at the market the other day after catching a video on a friend's facebook page on an easy way to de-seed one. I decided to try it and holy worked like a charm!

I ate half of the arils with a bit of yogurt and then I tumbled back to bed for a four hour nap and ate the rest of the arils once I woke up. So very pleased with how easy this was, I ventured out...painful raving ear and all to pick up a few more poms. I can't wait to whack a spoon against them! Watch the video here, and yes, it is a smidge longer than it could be but I get it, I do. When something blows your mind like this, you gotta share!

***the most tie-consuming part of this process is separating the pom in half once you score around it. If you have a problem with it, score a smidge deeper and try again. Once you have two halves, the process moves along quickly.


  1. Gneeheee, what a sweet video! You can really tell the guy is in love with pomegranates :D.

    I already knew how to get the seeds out, thanks to Jamie Oliver (who's probably not very well-known in the US?), but never tried it before.

    ... Gotta look up some recipes now. Thanks for sharing!

    Oh, and I hope you feel better soon!!! ♥

    1. Oh that Jamie is quite popular here in the states as well. I don't really watch a lot of television though so haven't seen his pom handling skills. Does he do it this way or the under the water way? This is even quicker and less messy than under the water.

      Let me know if you find a fabulous recipe and thank yo for the feel better vibes....I hope I feel better soon too! ;)