Tuesday, June 11, 2013

I am my own worst critic...

I was watching a TedX video featuring SARK and loving every moment of it. She is a pretty awesome person. She was encouraging her listeners to write a love note to the self. She read hers and it was hysterical. I thought about what if I wrote my own and I grew weepy and teary. Truth be told, I have moments of "go me" where I feel ecstatic and happy and proud of the person I am but then the scary little voices creep in and tell me that really I am not all that. Nor do I deserve to be any such thing and I don't know why.

Active inner critics. Critical.

but then again I'm, also carmelizing onions...

4 comments:

  1. Oh honey it may be the onions.. but its only natural sometimes to have the over critical voices arrive to put the mockers on things. I suppose the trick is to learn not to listen too closely. ..Remind these voices what a wonderful creative woman you are, dedicated to making the world more colourful and beautiful. And that you share these fabulous ideas with kids at the school and folk from all over the world via the web. Not to mention the love and care you share the a-go-go clan. Write the love letter in BOLD BOLD capitals...don't be bashful...Blow your own trumpet. REALLY REALLY LOUD!!!! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. aw Julie, thank you for the happy bouquet of warm fuzzies. I will get out some permanent markers! happy june!

      Delete
  2. I suspect that if Sark were being completely honest, she'd say that she is so unrelentingly positive as a means to quiet those inner critics. We all have them and some of our critics are harsh and mean. That's where the unrelenting nature of Sark's world view comes in. I just *know* that she started with a "fake it until you make it" approach to her positivity and now it's ingrained. I think -- in my life -- it's a bit like meditation. You have to work at it all the time to get good at it. Maybe start with a "like" letter to yourself and work up -- over time -- to a love letter. You can muzzle the inner critics but it isn't easy. Go you! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Liza, I never thought of that. Thank you for taking the time to write out such a lovely response. We are are own worst critics, are we not? I need to remember that "fake it" dealio. Mostly I just give in to the blues until they are gone and then I am good to go. Go you!

      Delete