Tuesday, June 18, 2013

beliefs



I am not a fan of confrontation. I do not hold up well to debate and argument. I get far too emotional. With the way social networking has hit us over the heads, I witness a lot of vitriol tossed about. I read, form an opinion and then talk it out with the mister. I don't generally cotton to the idea that Facebook is a place for personal arguments. Your FB page is your page, your space to write what you will. I may not agree with it but it is not my space, it's your space. That said, or rather, written, I was sadly disappointed to read a comment on a friend's page that changed my entire view of this person. The quandry is that this person is allowed to think what they will and that they are allowed to write it down and I am allowed to read it, agree, disagree and move on. I felt compelled to respond, so strongly compelled. I feel compelled so I am using my space to sort it out.

I know that people operate under all sorts of ignorance. I do. We all do. I'm just baffled about it all. And I want to stress that I'm mostly simply disappointed that I read what I read. I also want to repeat that at the same time we are all entitled to our opinions. I know...waffle waffle. I believe this person is wrong just as I am certain they believe I am wrong. So what do we do? Do I drop this person simply because I find this bit of ignorance intolerable or does that make me intolerable as well? Do I invade this person's space to tell them I disagree? If I do not does that make me a supporter of such ignorance? I know I am writing in code here, I just need to process these ideas and feelings.

What made me want to respond so much was/is that I think this person and a few other commentors believe there is nothing wrong in what they wrote or believe and yet to me, it was rife with hatred. The words themselves weren't violent but the context was. I'm still uncertain as to what to do. Like I said, I hate confrontation. I also have a difficult time with ignorance relating to people's choice of partners. Love is love. Loving who you love and being kind is a good thing when it comes from the heart. I feel sad that people still feel a need to make it something other than what it is.

Sigh. Why can't we really just all get along?

4 comments:

  1. This is exactly the sort of thing that compelled me to quit Facebook. That was back in... January or February maybe, and I haven't missed it one bit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just move them to another "list" and take them off of my main feed. They are still there, still friends but not putting things I wholeheartedly disagree with on my main page to get me riled up. If I want I go and look at that list and see what is up but I skip over quickly the stuff that bothers me. Just gives me a personal filter with which to go about my daily social networking without getting livid about what they say. Sometimes I say something if I feel it's just rumor or whatever, I feel like if you put things out there and someone says something about it, they can dish it, they can take it. Mostly though I just don't see it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just move them to another "list" and take them off of my main feed. They are still there, still friends but not putting things I wholeheartedly disagree with on my main page to get me riled up. If I want I go and look at that list and see what is up but I skip over quickly the stuff that bothers me. Just gives me a personal filter with which to go about my daily social networking without getting livid about what they say. Sometimes I say something if I feel it's just rumor or whatever, I feel like if you put things out there and someone says something about it, they can dish it, they can take it. Mostly though I just don't see it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a rough spot to be in. I generally decide if I will respond based upon a couple of things- if I feel I have any particular insight into an issue (so I tend to comment on disabilities issues quite often) or if the person seems to be lacking some knowledge of the subject that might change their mind. It sometimes happens that a person doesn't realize that what they are saying is factually incorrect or offensive. (Like if I can link them to snopes or explain why the term "retarded" is offensive.) But if it seems they have all the information and simply believe differently than me about a subject I will usually leave it be. (And sometimes edit how much of their stuff I see.)

    ReplyDelete