Friday, November 16, 2012

make your own facial scrub

Back in the days when my reading material consisted of young miss and Sassy I faithfully tore out pages on skin care and make up how-tos. My routine generally was to slather my face with Noxzema and call it a day but after my sister gave me a heap of Estee Lauder products I found I liked the fancy-pants department store goodies far better than my drugstore knock-offs. My favorite bit of goodness was a tall aqua container that contained a scrub of milky goodness called Cleansing Milk Grains. Eventually I used up that whole container and marched off to my May Company to pick up a new container only to find that there was a reason I stuck with drugstore knock-offs...ahem...the fancypants cleansing grains cost thrity-two smackeroos! I feared my sixteen year old self would forever be a Wet N Wild girl (in some ways that holds true but we won't talk about that) until a study of the ingredients revealed I could kind of, sort of make my own and so I did and still I do. Here is an updated version for you to make and share. 

Calendula Milk Mask
*one envie powered milk
*1/4 cup corn meal
*1 T calendula blossoms
*mortar & pestle
*drop or two of lavender oil (optional)
*happy jar
 This diy facial cleanser/scrub/mask is ridiculously easy to put together. Simply combine ingredients into a mortar and crush out any lumpy bits to a fine powder. You can skip this if you like but powdered milk and cornmeal tend to be pretty gritty. If you do not have a mortar and pestle, place ingredients into a plastic bag and roll with a rolling pin or pour into a food processor and pulse until fine.
 Since you are going to be using this on your skin I would recommend using organic cornmeal and milk  though you do not have to. Back in the 80s when I first made this I used our basic non-organic kitchen staples. Calendula blossoms are not necessary but they do add a bit of pretty if you are gifting this. Calendula is often used in products for people with eczema and/or sensitive skin and can be found online or at your local organic market where the bulk herbs and teas are usually displayed.

Blend it all together and pour into a small happy jar or container. If using lavendar essential oil, add a drop or two (no more) to the mixture and blend. 
 To use, splash warm water onto your face then place a small spoonful of mixture onto your palm, add a few drops of water and mix using your pointer and index fingers on the opposite hand until you get a paste. Apply to face in a circular motion and rinse or leave on until dry then rinse. I do this on mornings when I am going to be at work or out and about (two to three times a week). I find it invigorates my skin and it makes me feel a smidge more presentable.  
Enjoy! 

5 comments:

  1. I'm very intrigued by this! It sounds awesome. I was thinking just this week about how women used to bathe in milk to keep their skin smooth and reportedly, pale.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a huge fan of "do it myself" facial scrubs. My recipe starts with oatmeal. I hadn't thought of using cornmeal as scrubbing particles, but I will try it in a future recipe. I use a coffee grinder to grind regular oatmeal into a powder so it's easier to apply.
    And costs just pennies compared to oatmeal scrubs you buy at the store.
    Thanks for the tips.
    Jan

    ReplyDelete
  3. My dermatologist gave me this recipe to use when I was 20:

    1 tablespoon cornmeal
    1 tablespoon milk powder
    Mix with water to get a paste.

    She called it microdermabrasion.

    I used it every evening for 3 months, and by the end my acne was cleared up.

    I recently resumed this routine (I am 49 now). When I use buttermilk powder, it acts like a polisher and leaves the skin smooth, whereas mixed with whole milk powder it leaves the skin softer.

    I have also used brown sugar and olive oil for a facial scrub, not necessarily to clear up acne.

    I always wonder about the difference between microdermabrasion and scrubbing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous4:12 AM

    I've never tried milk on face..don't know why. When one of my daughters was in girlscouts they did mother's day presents. It was powdered milk mixed with dry hershy's chocolate. They put this in a small jar. You then add a few tablespoons to your bathwater. Loved it! Dark chovolate is suppose to be good on skin. I believe it's an anti-oxidant. Made skin smooth. Just throwing this out there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that sounds like it would smell delicious....if only i had a nose that worked. ;)

      Delete