Saturday, November 17, 2012

experiments in cookie baking: chocolate chip peanut butter oatmeal goodies

When I get a hankering for a cookie, I generally go to the kitchen, plop 2 cups of flour into a bowl, add a smidge of this and smidge of that, a teaspoon or so of baking soda, about a cup of sugar, one egg and one stick of butter and mix, mix, mix. If the dough is too sticky, I might add some milk or an extra egg, too wet then more flour or flax meal or perhaps oats. I dollop a scoop or so of dough a dozen times onto a parchment covered cookie sheet and pop into a 350F oven for 10-12 minutes, keeping my fingers crossed that they don't taste awful. 
 These cookies were much like that and I really wish I wrote down what I did because these cookies are keepers. All I remember is that I used brown sugar and oats and a cup of peanut butter and chocolate chips. I am sure I used only one stick of butter but it is posslbe I used a half cup of oil instead. 
 I highly recommend this method, you never know what you might get. And I kinda lied up there as I generally mix the dry ingreients separate from the wet. The butter is most often "softened" in the microwave then hand mixed with the sugar before I add an egg or two. I often also add a teaspoon of vanilla and usually only a pinch or a twist of salt. I use my trusty wooden spoon for al lthe mixing unless the butter is not very soft at all then I use a handmixer. Sometimes I add a package of instant pudding mix.
Depending on the appearance of the dough, I may use my cookie scoop and leave as is or I may flatten with the base of a juice glass sipped in sugar. Sometimes I roll the dough into a ball though I admit I am far too lazy to roll out flat and use cutters though I do have some pretty nifty cutters, I should get over that.

1 comment:

  1. I could get over using recipes, too, if this is the kind of results I'll get!