Thursday, August 09, 2012

a coffee catastrophe

Yesterday morning I enjoyed a nap. The kind that only happens moments after you wake up on a sunny summer morning. The kind where you can tell the day is going to be warm even as the cool breeze sneaks in through the cracks of your cheap rental blinds. It makes for a wonderful morning snooze.
The mister leaves around 6am for his long, long ten hour day. He bikes to work so when he comes in for his goodbye kiss the ssszip. sszip, sszip of his ultra blue windbreaker clues me in that he is about to leave. On mornings such as this, these breezy summer mornings, I roll over on my back, stretch and weigh my options. If I have to work I may doze for another 20 minutes or so and if I don't, I lay (lie?) there in the dim light biding time and planning the day. If the breeze is beckoning, I will lean over to open the blinds of the window, inviting that breeze in for a visit. Yesterday morning, I did just that and by the time the mister's bike bell jingled past the tiny casa I was in snoozeland.
After my mini nap I woke up to get a jump start on the day as favorite peoples are coming to visit. I  trotted out to the kitchen all sleepy eyed and mushroom-pajama clad and decided to prep the iced coffee concentrate I have been working on. Perhaps it was my still-slumbering hands or perhaps I miscalculated some sort of distance-to but either way I managed to not only drop or dump, but THROW the stainless steel press-pot of coffee concentrate and coarse grounds into the depths of my tiny fridge. It was as if I were an avant-garde painter of the fifties and needed to create a canvas of extraordinary force. KABLAM...art.

Once I felt the stainless surface slipping from my grasp I made the decision that since I was going to have to clean up a colossal mess anyway, why bother preventing it from happening and so I stood and observed the masterpiece as it happened. And. It. Was. EPIC!
There was a coffee brown splatter swathed across the refrigerator left to right and up and down. As if I toss the coffee outward while working on my trinity...father...son...you get the picture. For texture there were coarse grounds peppered across any and all surfaces not unlike the glitter one sees jazzing up the saint shrines from the Day of the Dead. It was so epic it could be called Dada. I stood there in my mushroom pajamas, cold, cold coffee pooling at my wide feet, left hand holding the door of the fridge open, right hand cupping my chin, framing it for the "oh *$&%?#@" moment that it was. And I stood there for more minutes than I should have as I assessed and worked on shaking the angries because what was the point?

And so...I laughed. I chuckled. I guffawed. And then I got to work.
I also broke the press pot and so now there is no coffee concentrate. No coffee at all. Sigh. At least the fridge is clean....oh...and I do have coffee ice cubes.



8 comments:

  1. That looks exactly like something I would do. You have my sympathies on the clean up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh dear..... As you said at least you now have a nice clean fridge!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my--that is really quite spectacular 8-) Glad you were able to laugh about it! I think I would have run through my whole repertoire of creative cursing, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  4. WHOA!! Are you sure that was you and not my kids?

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW....epic is right! That's a hard way to start the day, and as a fellow coffee-lover, I feel your pain.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You couldn't have done any better if you tried!

    ReplyDelete
  7. No coffee = DOOOOOOOOOOOM!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my goodness, so poignant. This made me laugh and cry, both. The dreamy stretching in one's pjs, as the disaster awaits, lurking; the total extravagance of the mess itself, and the final, most heartrending part; the coffee press is broken. There is no coffee, and yet, coffee is EVERYWHERE! You're right, this is art. I hope you at least enjoyed the ice cubes.

    ReplyDelete