Friday, July 13, 2012

summer thrift

 Okay so even though I got all hi-falooten' about buying less and how I've moved on from the frenzied thrift shopping of my not-so-distant youth, I still hit up a few thrifts every now and then. The town I live in has a Goodwill (the one I once worked at), a Goodwill Outlet and three other smaller thrift stores available for my perusal. My favorite to peruse is the outlet aka The Bins as its chaotic piles and bins sing to my magpie heart.
aren't all those prints pretty?
I know I can find some crafty use for these.
totally unnecessary but so nifty!
 As I have mentioned in one of my previous posts, I've curbed much of my thrifty consumption. In fact, I only head out to the thrift when there is a specific need (save for the occassional Wednesday when I do not have work and I can head thirty miles south to my favorite thriftstore for their 50% off day). The last time I went I was hoping to find a pair of jeans or two of a different denim than the pile I had accumulated here in the tiny casa. While I did indeed find some jeans. I also found a vintage Christmas tablecloth, fun old potholders, two fabric samples, one holiday wall hanging, two shabby chic pillowcases, a box of vintage paints, a rag rug, an ice bucket, a bucket of perler beads that is about 2/3 full and vintage-ish globe! All of this totaled under $20!
The ice bucket will hopefully be used to house our compostable waste. The lid fits snugly and the handle will make it easy to carry out and dump. All we need is a space for a compost pile, a garden and permission from our landlords for it all.
A George F. Cram Globe
The globe made me dash across the warehouse and inspect he other customers to make sure it didn't already have dibs on. I'm not sure how old it is but it's pre-1991 at least as it still had East Germany and West Germany on it as well as Burma and The Soviet Union, etc.
I just picked up the blue case..a set!
 I think I paid a dollar for the globe. The jeans cost more as they are sold by weight along with the pillowcases which are super duper soft. So really, it was a good trip...don't ya think?

7 comments:

  1. http://www.artonglobes.com/detail_peace.html
    maybe?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous12:19 PM

    What a great haul for that amount of money! I have some fond memories of perler bead crafts...HEY! Maybe you can find a pattern to make Bert and Ernie from them,if you haven't tried doing that before...

    Sigh. The heartache of living...all the bright and happy in the world can't make sad things better or bring our loved ones back to us. But I feel obligated to try to stay positive in the face of disappointment.

    "I can be changed by what happens to me, but I refuse to be reduced by it." - Maya Angelou

    Hang in there, Jek.

    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  3. Vintage tablecloths are my nemesis! That one you found is making me SWOON! I now have tablecloth envy thankyouverymuch! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Drooling over the blue and red cloth. Drooling!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great finds!

    I recently found a Cram globe, too & this was really helpful in finding a date:
    http://www.maps-globes.com/cram/faq/howold.pdf

    Mine is from the early 60's. There's no Tanzania yet. I'd love to hear what you discover about yours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hey, thanks! looks like my globe is from 1980. Zimbabwe is independent! Cool.

      Delete
    2. Neato! You're welcome. :D

      Delete