Saturday, June 23, 2012

red {velvet}, white, and blue

 It's been a short while since I baked something swoony so after putting on my thinking cap, I came up with this little bite of goodness just in time for your Fourth of July picnic. Enjoy!

Red Velvet Cake Mix and Coconut Milk Brownies {with marshmallows and more}
*one box red velvet cake mix
*1 egg
*1/2 cup coconut milk (unsweetened)
*1/4 cup oil
*1 teaspoon vanilla extract
*1/2 cup mini marshmallows
**whipping cream (optional)
**blue m&ms (optional)
Mix cake mix, egg, oil, milk, vanilla and marshmallows until blended. I used a Duncan Hines mix which proved to be a bit clumpy. Many of those clumps refused to come out but I made the most of it anyway.
Pour into lightly greased baking dish and bake at 350F for about 25 minutes. Remove from hot oven and allow to cool to set. Bars will be brownie-liscious and moist.
To serve, whip up a cup of whipping cream with NO sugar. The bars are sweet enough, I found that adding even a smidge of sugar made my bars taste salty. It could be the mix I used or not but the cream ads a super nice texture and cooling flavor to the sticky-sweet red velvet. To quickly whip up some cream, toss it onto a mason jar and attache the jar to your blender blade. This will whip it up lickety split for instant enjoyment. If you are serving this dessert out doors where it is HOT HOT HOT, use a handmixer to whip your cream until it is super solid, almost like butter. Blender-mixed cream melts pretty quick as it is.
Sprinkle with holiday color via sprinkles or candies or fruit.
Enjoy! These are super sweet and marshmallowy. They are great the second day at room temperature or chilled. I used a biscuit cutter to cut perfect squares. The loose pieces were tossed and layered into little jars for happy red velvet parfaits. 

*a word of delicate caution. Red Velvet mixes use a lot of red dye which does show up after the fact in a most surprising way. ahem.


  1. Your delicate comment re the re-appearance of the red dye made me LOL .....thanks for that:)

  2. Mason jars will attach to blenders? How did I not know that? So cool!