Monday, May 21, 2012

pinterest in action: scones and pie and an observation.

 
a few weeks ago, i actually rescued the ingredients that had been sitting in the freezer FOREVER to make this bomb pie by Something Swanky. sugar overkill, maybe , but SO good with a milky iced coffee sans sweetener.
time for baking
and last week, i made these blueberry buttermilk scones by Mango and Tomato. they baked up quite nicely and were packed with flavor even though i left out the coconut. the mister, sister a-go-go and mama a-go-go loved them!

 ***i know that there are oodles of folk out there who are not exactly fans of Pinterest. i kinda understand but at the same time, i don't think Pinterest made it any easier to "steal" ideas. they just created a platform to share your favorite ideas. before Pinterest, i had a folder on the desktop full of links and people's projects. in a nutshell, my folder was full of "stolen" property. i had and still have no intention of monetary gain from all the goodness, i am just so wholly inspired by all the creativity out there just as i hope you are inspired by what i share.

that said, i see a new trend in how people respond to blogs and with Pinterest people are forgetting to leave comments and offer up thanks and encouragement to the author. instead, photos and diys are pinned as a salute but if you don't see it, you don't know how much you inspire. case in point...i average maybe 1 comment a post. yeesh. not so good for my ego . yet i know people are clicking and reading as evidenced by my stats. a LOT of people. and if i hop on over to Pinterest, i will see my projects pinned and repinned to high heaven and yet not a single person has shown up here to say "Hey, this is cool, thank you for sharing"!  (oh, i don't mean you or you or you, you know who you are) and to me...that is just bad manners. it's not Pinterest's fault, it is the poor behavour of the masses. now, i pin like a mad woman myself and if i pin something from a blog i have never visited, i leave a comment and i thank that person for sharing (if it is a blog i subscribe to i have already and continue to say thanks). sometimes i find a new blog to read in the process and sometimes i make a new friend. i'm a bit behind on my repins however, i need to finish up and go through to the original source to say thanks and yes, i totally mean it. absolutely!

enough of my mini rant but i encourage you to think about it and if yer new to my blog and actually reading not just pinning put yourself into my shoes or think about yer own blog. wouldn't a little howdy and thank you make your heart sing and connect?

16 comments:

  1. interesting, and true, i think.... and i love the call for courtesy!
    also, i think facebook has killed blog comments even more.
    i admit, that when pressed for time (um...always), i don't leave comments unless i'm DEEPLY moved or concerned.
    many of the blogs i subscribe to are wordless or same/similar from day to day, and so i feel like I'd be leaving the SAME comment ("pretty picture!" "nice capture") over and over. and so i don't comment. also, being the stubborn/stoopid non-joiner i sometimes/often am, if a blogger ends with an open question or asks for responses, i often don't respond. i'm a cat that way (you want me? ummmm... i'll be over heeere...). plus, i figure they'll have puh-lenty of responses. i suppose it's not even fair of me to comment on THIS post (as I'm somebody who PURPORTEDLY only blogs-to-remember), but personally, I try very hard to not expect or check for comments.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. and i blog both to remember, share and dazzle-the-world-with-my-talents-so-that-maybe-someone-will-hire-me-for-more-crafty-writing-fun. aaaand....i wrote this post last Thursday and scheduled it to post and found that it fell in line quite nicely when i found my peanut butter cookie post all over Pinterest. and i mean ALL over pinterest. I've had more than 6000 views that that specific page and three comments. Pin and run! snark. snark. snark. smooch!

      Delete
  2. Brava! Well said. Same issue with my blog, seems like the same five people are always commenting, though I know several others are visiting. Sigh... I will be more in tune to offering thanks or at least a like when pinning from Pinterst, because I know how it feels when someone pays a little love to my efforts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Audra! i'll sit and sigh with you. a little love is a sweet thing. and now i have a new blog to check out!

      Delete
  3. I quit my pinterest account after reading about ten long essays critiquing the legality and business practice of the organisation. (Also the cloying cuteness was starting to get to me. Pinterest ain't very punk rock.) Life after Pinterest is just fine, and I've returned my energies to flickr, always my favourite hub for inspiration.

    I also tumble here: http://www.tumblr.com/blog/resistanceisfertile

    I love your blog, Jek, even if I'm a bit sporadic about commenting! x Helen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i do miss yer face over their but thankfully we have flickr which i have not abandoned as so many people have. i have forged more friendships through flickr than any other site. thank you for yer tumblr link. i'm still quite confused as to how it works. i have one but don't really post. i have to admit that tumblr frustrates me far more than pinterest. original sources are quite difficult to find over there. my pics get tumbled BIG time. sigh.

      Delete
  4. I like Pinterest and don't mind who pins what... Thats the way of the world, like it or not but I do like to give credit where it's due.I am guilty of reading and running sometimes....but not this time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Effie, I totally agree. I love the platform and find my bubble there quite happy. it is when i venture out of my bubble that the pins appall me.

      Delete
  5. I am another one who pops in and has a little look around but very rarely will i leave comment.

    Having said that I really like your ponderings and love your recipes......am looking forward to trying the peanut butter cookies :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi Vickie! popping in is very easy, I sometimes find myself doing the same thing. it takes me a couple of pops before my conscience gets to me. do make the cookies and let me know what you think!

      Delete
  6. I'm guilty of reading and not commenting, and I know the same happens with my sporadic blog.....sometimes I think I should make a comment about something and then go to write it down and it comes across as trite and not "post worthy", a bit like this :)) or, the post is serious and tear making, but you don't know me and I wonder how helpful my comment is going to be...anyway I do enjoy your blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw...I think sometimes, just a "Hey, I like you" can go a long way. Comments are only helpful if they are meaningful and if someone takes the time to say they like something then it is totally cool. Thank you!

      Delete
  7. Anonymous6:02 AM

    Hi Jek! I don't leave many comments ANYWHERE because I don't say a lot in real life. There are some blogs I've read for six or more years where I've never once left a comment - mainly because the blogger wouldn't miss it, what with their usual twenty-plus comments and all. Perhaps because I don't have a blog myself it has never occurred to me that what I say matters.

    As far as Pinterest goes, at the beginning of May I deleted an entire folder of about 130 Pinterest boards saved in my Favorites list. It had become such a major "time suck" for me that I couldn't justify my interest in it. My mind seems quieter and more at ease without the constant bombardment of great ideas TO DO, and my TO DO list was already long enough as it is. Plus, as I mentioned to you once before, looking at other people's big, wonderful kitchens and walls of bookcases did nothing but depress me...

    So, time to get off the computer now and work in my garden, since I am blessed to have a yard of my own. It will never be Pinterest-worthy, but it's mine.

    Take care of your poor nose and all the rest of your sweet, thoughtful self!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree that Pinterest is a time suck, it totally is! And I envy you your garden. I miss our old garden everyday and where we live now there is no place. We are going to try to put in a couple of half barrels for herbs and greens but gotta find those half barrels at a price we can afford.

      As for the lack of comments, this particular post was/is aimed at the masses that repin or repost my diys and recipes. not my regular readers who email me and do join in on a conversation (smile). for instance you have your popular blogs like Angry Chicken and Beautiful Mess who post projects and recipes and their repins are massive and they have a commenter following. My projects get bounced around all over the web but those people playing haven't thought to say "Hey, this is cool!" to me...I stumble across it on someone elses' website or pinterest board. and usually the source is not from scrumtown. sigh.

      I'm doing my best for my allergies, I am and thank you my anonymous friend!

      Delete
  8. Howdy, Jessica! I'm a regular reader and sometime commenter, and I want you to know I think you're one of the cool kids. I love your new haircut, I adore the three-minute cake in a jelly jar recipe, your Bed of the Month is always beautiful and inspiring, and my ongoing search for excellent vintage cat's eye glasses is all down to your influence. Thanks for all the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi, Jessica! You shamed me with the Pinterest rant, and you're right. I DO need to say Hello and say that your work is incredible. Thank you for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete