Thursday, March 22, 2012

one of those mornings

 I had a dilly of a time waking up this morning. My eyes would open and register relative darkness and I'd close them again for just a moment. It was my favorite kind of morning. The kind where the air outside the blankets is cool enough to make you think of an early summer morning. The kind that tickles at your nape and whispers you back to sleep where you dream of sweet things. The kind of morning where the birds are out and about and even though the window is shut you can still hear their morning song. The kind of morning where you know it is okay to sleep in. You probably shouldn't but there is nothing pressing you to rush, rush, rush until of course you do fully waken and see the clock and think where did the time go?
So I slept in this morning. I blame it all on the time change. The bedroom is still quite dark, darker than it was a few weeks ago so my usual early wake-up has become not-so-early and on days like today, downright late. It's almost noon and the casa is still dark and gloomy from the grey skies outside. Oh, and just to clarify, I woke up a smidge before ten this morning. One minute it was eight-thirty and the next it was almost ten, yikes! Since I have been awake, I have torn apart the tiny casa looking for my camera battery charger with no luck (I am doomed), popped soaked chickpeas into the crock pot, cooked up a batch of quinoa and enjoyed some hot ginger tea and a bowl of ahem...Lucky Charms. I also put on mostly normal clothes (not pajamas) and ran a brush through my hair. I am semi-presentable. Go me.
Today's plan includes a lot of errands and projects. I have been itching for a haircut for a few weeks now but with the charger missing I think I will have to wait. Why do battery charges cost so much? Why do haircuts cost so much? I'm thinking of just sticking a bowl atop the noggin and handing the mister a pair of scissors. I am that desperate. I am also up to my eyeballs in buttermilk and have been searching for recipes to utilize it all. I usually use up most of it but then end up with a sad and icky cup for the sink. I am trying to actually use what we have and so far, I have one scone recipe and one pancake recipe. Maybe I will double up the pancakes and keep them in the freezer. They toast up quite nicely after a snuggle in the toaster. I'm lacking in good words right now. Yesterday was absolutely gorgeous and today is not so. I probably would not do well in Portland, OR. I do like the grey but I prefer reading and lazing about on those days. Sunny days for me are for doing. Yesterday after work, I popped open the window, loaded a record onto the turntable, opened up all the blinds and went all stitch happy making pillows for the school I work at. I also maybe danced about the tiny casa in between sewing machine runs and Pinterest gazing. Maybe.

And now it is time for a smoothie...and a walk to the market. We need Pita bread and last time I tried to make it, it was a disaster. Tonight we're having homemade falafel with quinoa tabouleh on the side.


  1. I wear my sunglasses much more than you'd think here in Portland, but it's generally from glare off the cloud cover and not actually sunshine. Today it's from the glare off all the SNOW and the cloud cover. Crazy! Toss your buttermilk into just about any baking recipe for the liquid - I use mine up in corn muffins or if you have a lot - oatmeal baps - they use a good amount of it.

    1. i love the light in Portland. it has a dreamy quality. snow you say? oh wow! we just have grey, grey, grey.

    2. I normally love it here, too, but this winter has seen a lot more down-pouring than the steady grey drip I prefer. If I get a down-pour, I want it to be accompanied by some terrific thunder and lightning, which we usually lack. The snow was fun, gone in a day and then it was 60 out. Crazytown this month!

  2. Hi there- a friend from Scotland that has just given you a wee bit of sunshine, Jo x

    1. aw, thank you! we had some sun on the other side of town. i spotted it on my errands!

  3. for your buttermilk, a long time no-fail favorite of mine:
    Low-fat Lemon Pudding Cake – from the Moosewood Restaurant
    Serves 8
    You’ll need 8 ramekins or oven proof dessert cups
    (I have also used a souffle bowl in a pinch!)
    ½ cup unbleached white flour (unbleached I think for looks- I have also successfully used whole wheat)
    ½ tsp baking powder
    1 ¼ cups sugar
    1 ½ cups buttermilk
    ½ cup fresh lemon juice (about 3 lemons)
    2 tsp freshly grated lemon peel (optional)
    2 egg yolks, lightly beaten
    4 egg whites
    Pinch of salt
    Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly butter ramekins and place them in the baking pan.
    In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, and ¾ cup of the sugar. Stir in the buttermilk, lemon juice, the grated lemon peel, if using, and the egg yolks and set aside
    With an electric mixer, beat the egg whites and salt until the whites are stiff. Beat in the remaining ½ cup sugar. Gently fold the egg whites into the batter. Spoon the batter evenly into the prepared cups. Pour boiling water into the baking pan to reach halfway up the sides of the cups.
    Bake for 35 to 45 minutes, until puffy and golden.

    This lovely dessert separates in to layers during baking—a tart-sweet pudding on the bottom,and a light sweet cake on top. Can be served room temp or chilled.
    Prep time: 20 min. Bake time: 40 – 50
    From: Moosewood Restaurant Low-Fat Favorites, by The Moosewood Collective.

    1. ooh, loos delicious! thank you!