Thursday, March 08, 2012

make a little rainbow

 Last month I whipped up a happy garland for one of the classrooms I work in. I utilized a large arty piece we had the kiddos paint up with oodles of glue, paint and glitter. It was such a happy garland it inspired me to create a bit of rainbow happy and now you can as well. Your kiddos can even get in on the fun.

Materials
*1 large sheet of paper (8"X17")
*ruler & pen
*acrylic paint
*white glue or mod podge
*glitter
*paintbrush
*scissors
 
 
 Garb a large sheet of paper, I used white paper but newspaper would be pretty happy as well, and mark out six portions at two inches each. Fold paper using the marks as guides. The folds will act as guidelines for each color and if yer doing this project with kiddos, they can use their happy motor skills to fold and crease.
 
Set up paint. I love a rainbow. Instead of your classic rainbow, I went with its punchy-poppy cousin and used brighter lighters versions. Magenta, dark orange, yellow orange, lime and pale blue. Paint each fold one color and set aside to dry.
 
Once dry, pop out the mod podge and paint on a layer of sticky along the bottom of each color. Sprinkle with glitter and set aside to dry.
 
Once dry, use your scissors to cut out each row of color and then use your hands to tear each row into smaller pieces.
Now it is time to assemble the garland. I stitched mine up on the sewing machine but you can fold and staple or tape each piece to your yarn or string.
 Hang in a happy place! 

6 comments:

  1. So easy and so cute - my very favorite kind of post! I love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you doubly so! the first one i made out of newspaper.

      Delete
  2. This is fabulous, Jessica! The colours are so sweet. Love that it's painted paper & the glitter adds a nice touch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you! i totally believe in color therapy!

      Delete
  3. I love your projects because they always make me so HAPPY! If I lived in your house my cheeks would hurt from smiling so much. =) Thanks so much for sharing such a fun project, I'll be linking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you, thank you! if you were here you would be making all the lovely projects with me!

      Delete