Tuesday, February 28, 2012

just like old times

 Seven years ago I decided i wanted to send packages out to people. Not just any package, an awesome color coordinated package full of handmade goodness. so, I created a swap-group called coloriffic swap-o-rama and all you had to do was send an awesome package within the color theme and it had to include at least one handmade item. Anyone could join. I had a lot of people join who felt they weren't crafty at all. I encouraged them to try their hand at making something, anything. They could make marble magnets or stationery and if they couldn't craft, they could purchase a handmade item to include in their package. It was a fantastic success! I received lovelier than lovely letters from women who had never made a thing before and who now run their own craft businesses. People knit, sewed, crocheted, sculpted and drew all sorts of swoon-worthy bits. We sent packages in solid colored themes, rainbow themes and kooky combos thanks to the ever fabulousness of paint swatches. Each month I would announce the next color combo and folks would sign up in a frenzy. At one point there were over one thousand members in the group! The largest swap we did had almost 500 people in it. Zoinks! It was fun and we had a blast and my mailbox was quite content. The last swap was in 2008 as school took over my life and pocketbook. It was then end of a craft swap era and I miss it.
 Since I have moved into the tiny casa, I think I have received all of two pieces of fun mail and one of those was solicited. My mailbox was sad and empty. I began to pine for the good old mail days of happy packages and so when I spied the Craft Social Mug Rug swap, I signed up! It would be good to make a little something I've never made before and to wrap up a happy little package just because.
 Never one for sending the minimum, I searched through my fabric stash for some happy fabrics and stitched up a happy mug rug with a wee nod to The Doctor. I scored an awesome handmade mug at the bins and turned the little pocket into a temporary pin cushion.
 
 This being a mug rug swap, I added some tea and chocolate and then whipped up this happy tea garland. I had been sitting on these wrappers for years and have been wanting to make this garland for just as long, yay!
 
 All the goodies got wrapped and stuffed into the mug which I then wrapped and sent off to my partner. I hope she enjoyed it!

Pics of what I received to come shortly. I need to eat up some breakfast and wrestle with these allergies of mine. It's been a bad week for breathing. Oh and if yer up for a swap of sorts, lemme know...my mailbox could still use a little love.

8 comments:

  1. Yes yes yes! I think you should start the color swap again because I want to join!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd love to do a swap = but I must admit I don't sew... I crochet and knit and bead though

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, what a burst of nostalgia! :-) I absolutely loved the coloriffic swaps. They were my first swaps ever, and it's definitely thanks to you that I started crafting! I believe I've written to you about this, but I have to write it again, because it has truly changed my life!! In my first swaps, I was sure "handmade" meant "handmade by someone else", because what's "handmade" got to do with me?? so I actually BOUGHT handmade items at craft fairs for the first one or two swaps, and then I started thinking maybe I could do somethign as well! I made some collaged bookmarks (I had NO crafting materials AT ALL, hardly scissors, I think!), and then I made marble magnets, still not knowing about scrapbook paper - it was all magazine cutting. And then I wanted to make a card to go with the swap, and I got to know the world of crafting, and from there on, for every single day in my life, I'm thankful to you, to swapping, to inspiration and crafting and art- I can't stop thinking about it, and it is just part of me.THANK YOU!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad you are having fun - those colours of yarn are just amazing!where I could source some wool as there is a serious lack of yarn stores where I am. Many thanks for inspiring me to new a new craft

    ReplyDelete
  5. Man I loved your Coloriffic Swaps. Your color combos were always freaking awesome and I got such beautiful things. Not to mention, it was a great way to look at the world around you. I actually think I got YOU one year. I was SO nervous. I made you a mini yellow pillow thing with a freezer paper stenciled robot on it in brown.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i might do a one-off swap...wouldn't that be fun? stay tuned!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Please do, I want to swap too! I've never done one before but it sounds just lovely. Would I be able to join in in the UK?

    ReplyDelete
  8. i would love to swap! tho' whatever you get from me will involve rocks. but also undoubtedly something colorful.

    ReplyDelete