Friday, February 10, 2012

i could use a little love right now

See that guy up there in that picture? That's my big brother. The most influential person in my life. He is amazing in so many ways and he in the critical care unit of a hospital down in Los Angeles. I'm down in L.A. now as  well. He has severe damage to his lungs from asthma and other lung diseases and he is a smoker (bad, bad, bad brother)! He has been intubated and on a respirator for the past seven days. He is unable to breathe on his own and not recovering as quickly as other people in his situation. It is scary, he is sick and I am beyond worried for his life.

I am so very grateful for the powers of our social networking. My brother took himself to the hospital on Saturday without telling anyone. He's a fairly solitary and private kind of guy but when he did not show up for work for a few days, concerned people went to his house, texted and called to see what was going on. One of those amazing people had the foresight to call the closest hospital and it was discovered he was there. Another co-worker and fortunately old childhood friend and neighbor had the foresight to contact another friend who is close with me who then stepped up to tell me what was going on. My brother's ex also contacted me just hours before. It's been confusing and scary and very unpleasant. I have the warm fuzzies knowing my brother has people who love and care for him. I'm not sure what I am doing and I hope to do the best I can by him. For now, we're talking to him, getting visitors into his room and within earshot. I'm going to find his ipod and get some music going and we're hoping to find a quiet uke to strum as well. Small steps, tiny steps, recovering steps is what I am hoping for first. This guy is so amazing, he needs to know this and he needs to recover so he can continue to amaze us. Thank you for allowing me my space to feel safe and share. This is how I process, this is how I recover. good vibes are and will always be welcomed.

Random brother fact #1: He is the guy who married my husband and I. He stepped up, got ordained and I love him for that.

12 comments:

  1. Sending healing energy and thoughts to your brother and strength to you. It's so hard when people we love are sick and there is nothing we can do but wait and worry. Hope he heals fast and is up and out of the hospital soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jek, I'm an old swap buddy from Flickr. I'm so sorry to hear about your brother and I will say a prayer for you and your family. You are doing all the right things. He is so lucky to have sis like you. Be strong and hang in there. Here are some songs for motivation.
    Believe by Lenny Kravitz
    Earth Song by Michael Jackson
    Squeeze Me by Kraak & Smaak
    21 guns by Green Day

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Jessica, sorry I dont speak so good english - I am verry touched about your story and my thoughts are with you and your brother! I send you all strength and hope you need! Judith

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sorry to hear he's going through a tough time! :( Sending good thoughts your way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG Jek that's terrifying. I am so sorry. You guys are in my thoughts. Here's hoping for a full and speedy recovery. Love to you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. *love & prayers heading your way*

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jek, I too have a brother like yours! My thoughts and prayers are with you. Here is hoping for a speedy recovery!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I will keep you and your brother in my prayers. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your brother is lucky to have you in his corner, and with someone like you in his corner, he is going to heal quickly and hopefully quit smoking. Stay strong!

    ReplyDelete
  10. jek, i could not lurk and not post. please know that there is lots of love and prayers for you and your brother. lots of hugs too. kat

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so sorry to hear your brother is ill and I'm hoping with all my heart he'll get better soon. I'm thinking of both of you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is distressing news indeed. Sending you and your family best wished for your brother's healing. If we can send cards, just tell us where.

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete