Wednesday, June 29, 2011

recipe: cake batter scones

It rained last night and I never even heard it. Man, I sleep like a log. And now, it is a gloomy June morning perfect for baking something like...say...cake batter scones. If only I hadn't used up my box of yellow cake mix. I can still bake mind you but I have scones on the noggin and last week I whipped up the delicious creation of cake batter scones and I think those would hit the spot. now that my box is all empty, methinks I may have bottomed out on the adventures in cake batter baking. May have. Nothing is definite, especially where cake is concerned. Luckily for you, I have photos and a recipe so if you have a box of yellow cake mix floating around, now may be a good time to open it up.

Ingredients
*1 1/4 cup of yellow cake mix
*1 cup flour
*6-8 tablespoons butter
*1/4-3/4 (give or take a T or 2) cup of milk
*1/2-1 cup powdered sugar
Sift together 1 cup flour and 1 cup cake mix. Add your cold butter and mix in with a couple of forks or a pastry blender until crumbly.

Add your milk, a 1/4 cup at a time and gently fold until you have a sticky biscuit-like batter. You should have milk left over, save this. You can add sprinkles here if ya like as well.

Turn your dough onto a floured work surface and gently pat out. I make wonky biscuits so some of mine were thin while others not-so-thin. Cut into scone shapes or use a biscuit cutter until all your dough is used up. you should get twelve scones/biscuits out of the happy mess. These spread more than your average scone so give them room.
Place onto cookie sheet and brush tops with some of the leftover milk. Add a smattering of sprinkles and gently press so they stick. Pop into a preheated 400 degree oven and bake for 10-20 minutes depending on how hot yer oven bakes and the level of done-ness you like.
While your scones are cooling, whip up a cake batter glaze by mixing together your powdered sugar and 1/4 cup of cake mix. Add milk, 1 tablespoon at a time. You don't want it too gooey or runny. Dip a spoon into the glaze and dribble it over your cooled scones. Brew yourself a cuppa tea or a pot of coffee while the glaze sets. Enjoy and share the goodness! These are crispy on the outside and super cakey on the inside, They are not very sweet, save for the glaze and go really nicely with tea.

No comments:

Post a Comment