Wednesday, June 15, 2011

recipe: cake batter daux-nut holes

I told you I had more up my sleeve. This time I went for a bit of fried dough crazy and boy-howdy, were these tasty! Like I said, it is a good thing to live in a house full of people. These were gone by the end of the day!
To begin, you need is a bit of already-made bread dough. I used a tube of Pillsbury's Simply french bread but when I was a kiddo we used the frozen Bridgeford dough. You can also use a homemade dough but I would suggest that would be far tastier as the bread it was intended to be.
 Pop open the tube or package and snip off a small pinch of dough and roll yourself a ball about one inch across or about the size of a small super ball or large marble.
Pour about a cup of canola oil into a small sauce pan and turn your heat to medium high to get that oil hot! If you wish to go the deep fry route, go for it, I just kept an eye on the dough and flipped it. Give yourself the first few to test as it took me awhile to figure out how long to cook them so that the middles actually cooked through. I think three-four minutes worked for me but if your heat is too high and the oil too hot, your dough will brown rapidly and burn. Transfer cooked dough to a plate with some newspaper and/or a paper towel or two.
For the frosting, dump a cup of powdered sugar into a clean saucepan along with 1/4 cup of yellow cake mix and 1/8 cup of milk. Whisk till mixed and pour into a bowl. Next, add 1 tablespoon whipping cream and whip until it thickens. It won't thicken up like whipped cream or frosting but it will get less runny and turn white.
Grab a faux-donut hole, sip into the frosting and add some sprinkles. Enjoy while hot though they're tasty when cool as well!
Next up, cake-batter sugar buns. Eeps!

2 comments:

  1. Oh man, those sound delicious!! Love all of the sweets coming from your blog lately! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok. I am so off today. Was reading the recipe & had to reread as I coulda sworn it said a crap-ful of canola. LOL (kinda tells you where my mind is at.)

    ReplyDelete