Wednesday, June 22, 2011

recipe: 3 minute cake batter cake

As you can see, I still have cake batter on the noggin. This time around, I have an instant gratification cake in a jar. Jar goodies are ever so trendy, aren't they? This one was kicking around for a while and after searching and peeking and finding a nutella version on Pinterest I decided to create my own. Not that this is original by any means nor does it yield an actual fluffy puffy pretty-to-look-at kind of cake but still, it is easy, cute and tasty so who needs pretty, right? My recipe omits the use of egg though I do use butter for the fat. I suppose an entire egg would make your cake more fluffy but I felt that would be a waste of a good egg. You can try substituting a vegan margarine or maybe even oil and try your favorite non-dairy beverage instead of milk-milk. Have fun and experiment!
The Usual Suspects:
*1/4 cup yellow cake mix
*1-2 T butter
*milk
*microwave safe mug or jar
*sprinkles
*whipped cream is optional though we may have to discuss our friendship if you omit it.
Place the butter into your microwave-safe measuring cup and nuke it about 20 seconds or so until it is all melty. Add enough milk so that your measuring cup reads 1/3 cup. It will froth up a bit here, don't freak out.
Transfer the mixture to your microwave-safe vessel and dump that cake mix in and give it a whirl. Add a shake or two of sprinkles for effect and microwave on medium/high for 2-3 minutes. don;t get too crazy on the sprinkles as they will sink to the bottom of your cup and it won't look as festive as you want it to.
The cake may or may not rise up then collapse as it cooks. I used a 1 1/2 cup jar for this, my first try was done in a 2 cup mug, anything smaller and your batter may spilleth over. When you remove it from the microwave it will be steamy and dense. Stick a spoon into the now-cooked cake and give it a choppy mix so redistribute those sprinkles.
Add a dollop of happy barely-sugarfied whipped cream, add a few sprinkles and enjoy!

5 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, that might be the most awesome thing I've ever seen! Instant gratification, and sprinkles, too! Genius.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you might have me sold on this whole cake batter business.. yum

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I've never seen anything like this! Very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is incredible.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We totally tried this last night. At first I wasn't so sure, but we piled on whipped topping and the kiddo & the boy loved it. Thanks for the quick after dinner treat idea :)

    ReplyDelete