Friday, June 17, 2011

friday's confessional: june 17

In a nutshell, I suck. More than that, I suckity-suck. Wanna know why I suck? I quit my job. A job that I just started. A perfectly good job, one that most people would want and love. I resigned. And now I am taking a deep-breath to prepare for all sorts of flabbergasted whys and how dare yous. I didn't just wake-up and decide la-la-la-I-quit. I actually anguished over it. I weighed the pros and cons and it seemed to me all the pros meant making sure no one would be mad at me and all the cons greatly affected (effected?) me personally. I could go into more detail here but really, I am tired of defending my choice. A choice I did not make lightly and included much discussion with the mister. I still know I suck and that I have disappointed people but in keeping with all my blatherity blather about tuning in, I did it. I tuned into myself and made a decision and now I can breathe better...somewhat. I still need to achieve some sort of employment with a consistent paycheck, I am well aware of this and so I go back to the keyboard and craigslist and this site or that site as I type-ity type one resume after another. I apologize ahead of time for any whininess that might ensue. It's a hole I dug myself into so I shouldn't complain.

Do you have any confessions to make?


  1. I quit my job too! well, one of them...the other I only work 30 hours & make only like $900 a month :(

    I too am typing my life away (between catching up on blogs to put it off) to get another job...or maybe even a full time one.

    I am very optimistic about work, even though a lot of people aren't. So I commend you for making the decision.

    Good Luck!!

  2. You don't suck.

    It sounds like it was the right decision for you.

  3. people can be so judgemental... i guess it's human nature. with that said. it is totally understandable for you to quit a job that isn't right for you. regardless of the reasons, one knows when you are trying to shove your square peg in a round hole. i prefer to think of it as being in touch with yourself. the wrong job can mess with a persons well being and quality of life. my husband hates his job, and because of it, he isn't a happy camper these days...:( you did the right thing. be strong with all those nay sayers!) hey, you are a contributing human being...that's all that really matters!xxxx

  4. forgot my confession.... i am afraid to go to work! i've been a homemaker for sooooo many years that it makes me sick to my stomach to think about working out side the home. i really don't want a job, but what will my purpose be if my kids are all away at college? maybe i would enjoy the right job... but then again i would have to leave my doggie alone all day..not a very cool existence for her! i can talk myself in and out of a job any day...i also don't have much earning power... but we could use any little bit extra money to help out (guilt, guilt) should i get a job or not? that's my personal battle battle!

  5. Anonymous10:13 AM

    If you did what felt right to you, then you did the right thing! No regrets...

    Hmmmm, confessions? On my last day of work at one particular job, I left without saying goodbye to some people, like, people I worked very closely the moment, I felt justified, but on the long drive home, I felt like crap.....

  6. Anonymous10:38 AM

    It's best to be true to yourself.

    In spite of everything that stands in opposition and all the naysayers and conventional wisdom, sometimes you MUST walk away from what appears to be a good thing. Because it might glitter on the outside and make beautiful promises, but under the surface it's toxic for you.

    THAT is what sucks - not you, Jek. Yes, we all need to pay our bills, but there's more to life than making money. Don't make yourself miserable over this. Believe that there is something better for you do in this world, and stay unwaveringly positive in that belief. It will come.

    Sending many hopeful, affirmative vibes your way -


  7. Two of the most exhilarating days in my life were the days I quit jobs I hated. Life is too short to be doing something that's wrong for you!

  8. Good on you for being brave enough to act on something that you realised wasn't right for you - that is a really brave thing to do and it can't have been an easy decision.

    All the best,


  9. Might be helpful to look at that gig (and leaving it) from a different perspective. I'm sure at some point you've mentioned to me who some of your heroes are, and though I can't think who they are just off the top of my head, I know you and I can make an educated guess of what they're like. From the tidbits about that gig which Mr. A Go Go has shared with me, it sounds like your heroes wouldn't have stood a minute's worth of that scene. These days we're all looking at our employment situations through the lens of the current national economy -- which is as bad as watching a science fiction movie. We don't have normal circumstances anymore, we live in science fiction, white knuckling our way through the next twenty-four hours. Reminds me one of the major characteristics of depression - a person can see their existing circumstances with stark, crystal clarity but without the aid of hope or optimistic imagination. That's how many of us view employment these days - "I better put up with this job no matter what happens because destitution is snarling from every street corner!" Yes, the existing employment/job hunting circumstances are tough. But if you can possibly manage to leave a place that makes you so unhappy that you are willing to leave, then you gotta split. The fact that you personally have split underscores your hope and optimistic imagination. Friggin’ good for you that you’re not cowering in the face of science fiction, a more appropriate gig is waiting down the road. Your heroes would’ve made the same decision.

    What’s my confession? That I feel inept for not sabotaging those at work who are sabotaging me. But what goes around comes around.

    Who are your heroes??

  10. just want to share something I am working on w/ my therapist. That is realizing that other peoples problems are theirs and not mine. I can be sympathetic without taking on the burden. That being said, if someone has an issue with you quitting, that is THEIR problem, not yours. Hope you find the right job for you soon, you are in my prayers.

  11. always follow your gut and your heart. life's too short.

    thanks for a great site!

  12. i'm really happy for you. you are so brave to make the right decision for you.