Friday, November 05, 2010

sweet, sweet november: day 5

Pumpkins aren't just for Halloween. They and all their happy squashy cousins make for excellent autumn eats. From cakes and breads to side dishes and soups, pumpkins pack a healthy punch! Here is a simple recipe for pumpkin butter that is so full of fall flavor and scent you'll want to park yourself on the sofa and sniff, sniff, sniff away. I hope you enjoy it!

*15oz of pureed pumpkin. I used this kind but you can make your own puree as well.
*1/4 cup brown sugar, loosely packed
*3oz apple cider
*1/4 t each: cloves, nutmeg, black pepper
*1/2 t each: cinnamon & ginger
*dash of salt and cayenne pepper
Pop the pumpkin, apple juice, spices, and sugar in a suitable saucepan; stir well. Bring the whole happy party to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer for 30 minutes or until thickened. As it bubbles and spurts a lot, make sure to stir frequently. The mixture will darken slightly from all those good spices.Let cool a tad and transfer to a happy glass container, do NOT process this for canning. It will keep well in the fridge for a few weeks (if it lasts that long, it's pretty tasty stuff). Divide pumpkin butter into small sterile jars and give as gifts. Don't fergit some happy tags! Pumpkin butter is tasty on toast, in smoothies, on oatmeal, in cookies...seriously, there are oodles of uses for it, have fun!
*check out scrumdilly-do for a delicious kid-friendly recipe!

10 comments:

  1. That looks incredible. I love all things pumpkin and will definitely make some butter soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. mmmm.... mmmm.... MMMMM! I want some. I will have to make some now.
    I've been lurking for a bit... I had to say somethin' when I saw this though! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. thank you ladies! i've already used the butter in the rolls and some cookies. today i may make a smoothie or a milkshake!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok this sounds delicious!!! I can not wait to try it. I have a question though, can you can this? I am fairly new to canning so I am unsure. I would love to pack some away for awhile though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I left out the spicy stuff, cayenne & pepper, and added a little more sugar, because, well you know me & my sweet tooth. Peter really liked it on toast, I'm waiting on some sweet potato's! :))

    ReplyDelete
  6. that is what is so perfect about this recipe, it is totally customizable.

    as for canning, DO NOT do it. i have it written down in the last step not to. i'm not sure why but everywhere i read it said it would be dangerous and make you sick. :(

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just put a pumpkin dish in the oven for dinner. I took a few prep pictures so you may get to see it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Being experimental types, we have tried tried canning pumpkin.
    We had pumpkin goo in our canning cupboard when the tops blew. It was a mess. Luckily we get things out of that cupboard frequently and it didn't sit too long.

    There is some thing chemical that happens to the pumpkin and it creates a gas that breaks the seal. That is why you are not supposed to can it. Freezing is OK.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That looks soooooo delicious! I want to stick my whole face in that jar!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Marguerite3:01 AM

    Re: canning pumpkin.

    The problem seems to be that pumpkin is so dense that it cannot be processed safely in home equipment because water bath canning can't get the temperature in the middle of the jar high enough to kill the bacteria that causes food poisoning.

    Using a pressure canner would still require such long processing times that the pumpkin would be inedible. I read this in the book, Putting Food By, written by Greene, Hertzberg and Vaughan, The book is now in its fifth edition.

    ReplyDelete