Sunday, January 11, 2009

pretty in pink-puff pastry

Near the tiny casa but not in the same 'hood, there is an institution of baked goodness called Porto's. I am embarrassed to admit that I came to know Porto's quite late, just a few years now so I am making up for lost time. There is always a line, a long one but it moves quickly and before you know it, your order of potato balls, meat pies and cheese rolls is gripped tightly in your hands and torn open on the way to your car. They are not exactly vegetarian friendly by way of hot food but oh my goodness, the pastries are delightful. Their most popular is the cheese roll which is only sixty-five cents and I think I would take one of these over a cupcake any day. The problem is they are too good. Addicting is the word. Even mister a-go-go gets a gleam in his eyes when I arrive with a bag of cheese rolls from Porto's. One day, after demolishing two in one go, I realized I could make these. Easy-peasy even. And then I did.
All you need is puff pastry, cream cheese, and powdered sugar. I also add a bit of orange zest and juice, a dash of black pepper and a sprinkle fest of sparkling sugar.
Let the cream cheese soften so that it is easy to whip up with a mixer. Add powdered sugar to taste and if you like a squeeze of fresh citrus. I used blood orange.
You can use any kind of puff pastry. I live in Little Armenia which has plenty of small family owned markets. These little markets carry four inch squares of puff pastry that I adore. I can pull out one or two and make a single serving of something yummy. I love it! Set out your squares of puff pastry, cut your sheet if you need to.
Slather on the cream cheese mixture to your preference. Fold over squares to form triangles. You can of course fold it any way you like but do fold so that you can make a little tart of sorts.
Use a fork to crimp your edges closed and then cut into the fold with a pair of scissors.
Brush on a bit of melted butter or margarine and sprinkle with your topping. Pop it into a 350 oven and bake for about 12-15 minutes, checking to make sure they don't brown too much. Wait until cool before you devour them all. The inside filling will be HOT! Enjoy with a cup of tea and pace yourself. You can't say I didn't warn you!


  1. Oh YUM! This is too good, since I have all of these ingredients here at my house! I was being so god as I took a walk past like 4 of my favorite bakeries without going inside...Not even at the prospect of cinnamon rolls! I told myself not to spend the $ and to wait until I got home to make something delectable. Now it is sure to happen!

  2. You're killin' me here, Jek! Pastry + cream cheese = sinfully delish......gotta get me one of 'em!

  3. Jek, these look so scrumdilly. And a great way to use seasonal citrus. yum, yum, yum.

  4. Oh perfect! Although at first when I saw the squares I thought you were making graham cracker-frosting sandwiches. Have you ever made those? Also yummy!