Wednesday, October 29, 2008

a day well spent...

Los Angeles isn't known for it's public transit system, but if you live in the right place, adventure lay just a hop, skip and a jump away. I live in a nifty neighborhood that is a couple of blocks from the subway station.

The Los Angeles subway doesn't go too far but it does go downtown to Union Station. Union Station is right across the street from Olvera Street.Olvera Street is a perfect day trip for some photo ops and eye candy "shopping" with friends. Gotta love a day where you can hang out with friends, take candy colored photos, eat super duper dips from Philippe's without having to get in the car to do it. I spent $2.50 on fare, about $6 on a dip sandwich & lemonade and then splurged $4 on an iced latte at union Station where we hob knobbed in the beautiful main hall. I got home around 2pm and am getting ready to do more crafting.They hadn't set up for Dia de los muertos yet but still there was color. I love the juxtaposition of the lovely embroidered blouses with the freaky marionettes and the campy lucha libre masks. Everything is so colorful at Olvera Street. Sadly though, there are more than a few stalls that are empty and too many of the vendors yell at you when you take pictures of their merchandise. Makes me not want to visit. I might not have spent any money today but I do go there when I know exactly what I want to gift someone with.Did you know Philippe's has a second story? I never noticed..shows you how much I pay attention. There is an enticing staircase that runs along a brick wall covered in names and graffiti. We trolled up the steps to find an empty lovely space. Mini dining rooms with coat hooks on the walls and lovely light and always, those brick walls!
A day spent well spent!


  1. I was pretty impressed with LA's public transportation when I visited a few years ago. I was staying in Burbank and while I was still at home I was able to go to the metro website, put in where I was starting and where I wanted to go so I had the whole thing plotted out before I even went to LA. The bus stopped in front of my hotel, and took me to Downtown LA in less than an hour--so much easier to let someone else to the driving when I wasn't familiar with the city. I did go to Olvera Street, it was wonderful!

  2. Lovely photos, weird to see frida kahlo on a doll...glad to hear you had a well spent day :-)

  3. Love the cute pic of you gals! Sounds like you had a great day and the weather looked nice too ;)

  4. I love philippes!! mmmm so good!