Thursday, June 12, 2008

Birthday Brouhaha

There is a large slice of homemade apple pie sitting in our fridge mocking me. I cannot eat it but I want to. It is the mister's birthday pie from a friend of ours. She made him a most excellent pie. It was good, really good, so good I think I need to leave the house until the mister comes home from work and eats it before I do. Lucky for me I have to go to work but still that pie is singing my name, it is taunting me.The mister had a birthday on Tuesday. Because he is a man who wants for nothing (other than a Vespa) I decided to gift him with ice cream. It is after all, his favorite food. Usually I bake him a batch of gingerbread, his next favorite sweet, but this year I decide to put the ginger in the ice cream. I found a custard based recipe online and felt it was something I could handle. The making of ice cream, for some reason, has me all convinced it is difficult.. I am certain I will screw it up somehow. Our fabulous neighbor has an ice cream maker and she assures me she will help me turn it on and all that jazz. So I gather up the supplies and successfully produce a batch of ginger custard. I had to do this the day before his birthday and of course he walks in the door while I'm doing it so I holler "Happy Birthday!" His eyes light up and if it weren't for the fact that we had to leave to meet friends for dinner I do think he would have finished the custard before it even cooled. I walked it over to our neighbor's place and she had me pour it into the pre-shilled maker thingie and we put the pink plastic lid on top. She asked me if I was sure I was ready and then she hit the ON switch. That was it. Really? That's all? Why, that is jek proof! After is got all mixy mixed up we popped it in the freezer and waited for THE day.Unbeknownst to the mister, I had invited a few people over for a root beer float party. Fresh fruit was chopped up, cheese & garlic pizza was ordered and root beer was chilled in the fridge. I brought out the glass glasses and washed them up nicely. The ice cream scoop was at the ready and waiting for the mister to arrive. The mama and sister a-go-go arrived with super gooey yummy cheese and crusty bread and we snacked on fruit and pizza outside in the garden. Tiny bowls were brought out for the big sampling and I do believe we have a winner. The ice cream was good, really good and very gingery. I added more than the recipe called for. I did it! I made ice cream. Friends arrived with cupcakes and laughter and floats; both ginger and root beer, were prepared. It was a lovely small get together full of sweetness, laughter and fizz. The mister and I ended the night with a viewing of the photobooth strips, all two-hundred plus that are tucked away in the acid free archival box he made me a few years ago.

Hmmm...forget the pie, I'm having a float!

11 comments:

  1. I'm not sure what I love more -- rootbeer floats or rootbeer coolers. Ah, bliss.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday Artboy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy birthday to Mr a-go-go, happy birthday to you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now *that's* the way to celebrate! I love it. Your apron is great, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Damian crowley7:56 PM

    oh no healthy pie but OMG you MUST have that ICE CREAM float :P lia


    cheers
    -Damian(panditha)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous7:56 PM

    oh yeah and happy birthday mister :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh ginger ice cream!

    That sounds heavenly!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Birthday and yummmm those rootbeer floats look nummy.

    You take such great photos.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oooh Happy Birthday Mister! Yeah I know i'm late (what else is new) ;). That icecream sounds heavenly. mmmmm Ginger. And it doesn't surprise me that you did an awesome job with it - everything you make is wondermouse! ;)
    btw *great apron* ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy belated to Mr A-Go-Go. We have an ice cream machine. Instead of having the bowl hog up space in the freezer, I should be putting it into action. Ginger would make my very happy. Intriguing combo with the root beer.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That looks wonderful! I am seriously considering getting an ice cream maker now.

    ReplyDelete