Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Someone You Know has Lupus

Right around the time I was born my mother was diagnosed with Systemic-lupus-erythematosus also known as SLE. Upon this diagnosis she was also given a prediction of two years to live. She took that prediction to heart and while she did live for another 25 years, she lived in the shadow of this terrible illness. She was never able to work and the multiple number of medications she took compromised her immunes system even more. In December of 1999 my mother succumbed to her illness. Since 1977, October has been Lupus Awareness Month. In honor of my mother and in support of the millions who have this disease, I am selling an assortment of handmade purple items in my etsy shop. All proceeds from the sales will be donated to the Lupus Foundation of Southern California. Please take a moment to check out my etsy shop to see if any of these items tickle your fancy and if they do not please consider donating to the Lupus Foundation of America.

8 comments:

  1. Jek, why did they pick purple for Lupus?
    I bought one of the gnomies, may i have the pink eyed one please?
    Thinking of you and your mum,
    xx steph

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you steph. I'll save a pink eyed one just for you! mailing 'em out tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My Dad has incomplete lupus, which isn't as severe, but sure gives him trouble nonetheless.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i'm sure it's no fun no matter which or how you have it. my cousin tells me that it's like having the flu everyday of your life. i wish your father healthy vibes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sybilla (Sibi on Flickr and Etsy)11:50 AM

    Hi fellow FAA-crafter :)
    I loooove these gnomies and I want one! Hell, I'll take one for my mother too. She's 75 and still in very good health but your story makes me realise how lucky I am to still have her around.

    I'll move over to Etsy now, see you there :)

    *hugs* Sibi

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Jek, just got a link and writeup about this on a craftzine email! Go you!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous5:17 AM

    hey from the Lupus Foundation of America. I came across your blog and really liked what you're doing for Lupus Awareness Month. Wanted to let you know I gave you a shout out on the LFA's blog "On the Road to a Cure." http://lfa-inc.blogspot.com/

    If you're aware of other lupus bloggers out there, please let me know at davis@lupus.org. Best of luck with your sales!

    ReplyDelete
  8. nice blog for lupus, i know all to well.

    ReplyDelete