Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Bakeshop Bounty

Even though 7-eleven sells a pretty tasty cupcake, I still frequent cupcake shops around town. I'm a pretty picky cupcake eater. I like more cake than frosting and I don't like super sweet. Sadly, my sense of smell has once again, gone AWOL so I'm missing out on the nuances of flavor in a lot of the cakes I try. I think my favorite cupcake shop is Leda's Bakeshop in Sherman Oaks. Big Sugar in Studio City is an adorable shop but their cupcakes, for me, aren't on the top of my list. However, if I'm jonesing for a bar I go there. She makes the best bars I have ever encountered! Especially the peanut butter chocolate swirl. Last time I was there I sampled her new pecan bar which is heavenly. Kind of like pecan pie but without all that stickiness, plus, it has a shortbread crust and ya know, I kinda like the shortbread.
leda's bakeshop: kid's chocolate fudge
But, back to Leda's. It ain't cheap. The tiny bite sized cupcakes are $1.50 each and if you pick up a few it adds up quickly for not so much cake. I need to say this though, her flavors are so, so, so perfect that you only want to eat one so that you can savor it. There is just the right amount of frosting dabbed on top sometimes hiding a dollop of ganache or lemon curd. Flavor bursts can aptly be applied here. The vegan goods at Leda's are awesome. The chocolate peanut butter cookies are to die for and well, my absolute favorite is the ginger scones which are also pretty pricey pricey. The best part though of course is taking pictures of all the cuteness. Click on the pics for more info on flavors...
leda's bakeshop: lemon curd
Happy Tuesday! More cupcake pics from moi:
Yummy Cupcakes
Cafe Unforgettable Cakes
Big Sugar Bakeshop
Leda's Bakeshop
Junior's Deli
Trader Joe's
Whole Foods

fakey cakes by jek in the box

1 comment:

  1. can't wait to try your recomendations next time i'm in the valley.

    but as far as i'm concerned yummy cupcakes in burbank are the best of alll time!! i could eat one (or two or three) every day!