Thursday, May 17, 2007

A little Thursday love...

Mmmmmm. Shortbread. One of life's sweetest treasures and oh sooooo easy to make! Whenver I have company coming or am about to go a'visiting, I whip up a batch o' shortbread and everyone is happy. All ya need on hand is butter, sugar & flour. Having a little extra is always good too but the simple shortbread cookie should never be overlooked. If your butter isn't soft, nuke it in the microwave or melt it in a pan. You can make shortbread with melted butter, yeppers! I prefer mine softenned but you can melt it if ya like. Expirement with flavors..add some zest or dried fruit or cut up a favorite chocolate bar! Add some spices and nuts or maybe swirl in a little peppermint or vanilla extract. The possibilities are endless and there are soooo many ways you can cook your sweets too. You can roll them into logs then slice & bake as you like. Sometimes I keep a log in the freezer and when I crave a snack I slice of four slices, bake them and enjoy them with a cuppa. The slice and bake version of shortbread is best done when your add ins are fine like spices, liquids and super duper finely chopped chocolate and/or nuts. If your shortbread has some chunky bits in it the nit is best baked in a mound. To do this, I simply heap up the dough onto a cookiesheet pressing it down to similate a square shape. I bake it between 10 and 15 minutes depending on how thick I left it and as soon as I take it out of the oven I trim the edges and cut into wee squares! You can also use cookie cutters to cut out shapes directly after removal from the oven. Hot dough is workable, once it cools though, it crisps up and you will get a mess.

So, go for it, whip up some dough and store it in your fridge or freezer until ready to bake. I like to bake super early in the morning as it makes the casa smell oh so yummy! What is your favorite concotion going to be? Mine is still lavender and chopped chocolate from NewTree


  1. libby5:20 PM

    i absolutely ADORE your lavender cookies, as well as those black pepper ones you brought last time. those are cookies good dreams are made of. :)

    i was actually thinking about shortbread this past week and wondered what CARDAMOM shortbread cookies would taste like. have you ever tried it?


  2. hey, J!
    Was wondering if you wanted to bring PINK shortbread to Zaza's par-tay? I even have pink sugar if you want it for sprinkling on top...?
    If you guys are still not sure of attending, can you send me your recipe again?

  3. libby, i was just thinking of a cardamon and pistachio cookie...;)

    stacey-i would love to bring much for how many and i have oodles of pink sugar! (it may jsut be me at the partay ...)

  4. I just found your blog a few days ago and it's great! I was wondering if you'd mind sharing your shortbread recipe? Thanks!

  5. J:
    with any luck, 25 folks (kiddy and not) will be there over the course of 3 hours. i think it will end up being more like 10 people at any on time...

    love love,