Monday, March 26, 2007

Happy Birthday Mamos!

Today would have been my Mother's 66th birthday. I miss her so much it still hurts and overwhelms me at times. She is around the same age as I am in this picture. I have no idea when they started filming for the flick. Her best friend's husband at the time was a producer for Universal and got them a gig as extras for a short while. This was a great big thing for my mom as she adored films so very much and was disabled with Lupus but was in the middle of a good period where her health soared and she was able to be productive. I don't remember much from this as I was only 5 or 6 but I do remember her smiles and laughter. She told me the lights almost knocked her out...Lupus doesn't do well with a whole lotta lights, brightness and activity but she had such a good time running around and hanging out with some guy in a hawaiian shirt named Bobby. Yup! If you ever find yourself watching New York, New York, keep an eye on the two ladies seated at the table behind Liza just before the champagne fight starts. That's my mamos and her friend! She told me how they had to spend hours pretend speaking and they could only say "Tomato". Later I would follow in her footsteps as an extra in The Doors. I had just recovered from a hellish chicken pox experience and had lost both my voice and had an ear infection. I was seated way way way in the back of the theater where Jim gets arrested on stage and spent most of my time reading my smuggled copy of The Vampire Lestat and then lipsynching "Light My Fire" when filming was happening. I was sad that I couldn't talk to anyone and mad that they put me in a dorky outfit which I of course restyled more to my liking the next day and no one noticed. If you watch The Doors and search search search for a girl in a giant white floppy hat with red polka dots, that's me! I did get to wear crushed velvet bell bottoms and eat all the donuts I wanted and Oliver Stone stepped on my foot while Kevin Dillon asked me if I was okay...oh and I got paid too! So, whoo-hoo!

When my mother was alive we would go thrift shopping on her birthday and then after she died I would go thrifting by myself holding a mental commentary of what she would like, not like, etc. I have school all day today so can't go but I did go yesterday and I think she was with me in spirit or maybe I'm just a little nutty. My mom was one cool lady who had a hell of a life. I am amazed at what she went through and sometimes I wanna knock some sense into her head but I can't. She did the best she could and with everything that was stacked up against her, I think she did a pretty good job. I am so grateful for what she taught me. I wouldn't be the me I am without the life we had. I love you Mamos. Wherever, whoever or whatever you are I hope you are at peace and eating some very good cake! Happy Birthday!

11 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday to your sweet Mamos!And you do look like her. I have no doubt she is with you today and everyday.
    ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was a precious entry, Jek! Your mom definitely raised you right.

    Enjoy her day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. She was definitely with you. And I love those stories.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to see that movie now! Happy Birthday to your mama!

    ReplyDelete
  5. just beautiful, you look so alike
    hey i'll be re-watching both those movies now! x

    ReplyDelete
  6. thank you ladies! sometimes i marvel at how much i look like her...spooky! wishing you all a fabulous week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. what a wonderful entry. happy birthday to your mom! i am sure she is with you and the good thing is that you get to pass on all your favorite things about her onto your friends and family! in that way, she lives on. much love. xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is an uncanny resemblance! I'll have to watch both those films again now to spot Mamos and Jek. Lots of birthday love to her! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! Happy Birthday to her!
    What a fabulous picture and great story!
    You two are both very special.
    Thank you for sharing this with us! Now I've got to go rent these movies!

    ReplyDelete
  10. so sweet -- thank you for the post and the picture.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very nice post. Thank you for sharing :-)

    ReplyDelete