Friday, December 01, 2006

photobooth friday: bittersweet


Don't they just look dandy? My mom and dad met when she was 14 and he was 16. They married four years later. I remember my mamos telling me that my dad had to get permission from his mother to marry as he wasn't 21 years old. How funny in an odd sort of way. They were married in Pasadena, California. The chapel where they wed is just a shout from my school. It is still there. She designed her dress and all her bridesmaids' dresses and shocked the community when she picked a pregnant woman to be her matron of honor. They went to Disneyland for their honeymoon and then camping. She saved the receipt for groceries and it must have been almost a foot long while the total was under $10! They lived a fairly fairy tale life until life happened. The death of a sibling so very young, my mother's depression, my premature birth, mom's lupus diagnose and then the accidental death of a man at my father's hands all tumbled about one after the other. My father walked away taking my sister with him. I never saw him again (I was three) and work very hard at understanding my sister. So, when I look at this picture I can't help but feel sad. They are so happy here and they were happy for awhile. My dad's leaving so devastated my mother that she almost never recovered. She did, just barely, and for a few months she saw a light. A short few months. As sad as I feel, as angry as I can feel, I appreciate it, all the muck. For without any of the experiences I had as a result, I wouldn't be me. I wouldn't be jek.

Though sometimes I really wish I had been able to have had braces on my wonky teeth. Sigh.

more booth antics:

hula seventy
JesC
the whole self
LeSophie
acumamakiki
astray
jordis
Matt?!
woof nanny

3 comments:

  1. this is lovely, so lovely, if not a little heartbreaking. what a story! glad that they hopped into a booth and documented what it was that drew them together in the first place, you can see it here... it's lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh, and I absolutely love that your mom saved the grocery store receipt from their honeymoon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. they do look lovely and i adore the receipt..still have it somewhere...:)

    ReplyDelete